Mold is a fungus created by microscopic spores that travel through the air and, when offered the right environment, grow and reproduce quickly. Mold can be dangerous for a person's health and it can be dangerous to a home's integrity. There are different types of mold and while some of them are harmless to people, they are still dangerous to the home itself. You can learn more about mold and the importance of mold removal by reading more on the subject here.

How to spot mold

In some cases, the mold will be in visible locations, so you will be able to see it easily. In other cases, you will have to look for the mold in places where it commonly shows itself. Then, there are other cases where you won't be able to see the mold without tearing parts of your home apart to get at its location. However, there may be other signs of its existence, as you will learn below. 

Signs of mold

Odors — There is a musty smell produced by mold, so if you start to notice a musty smell, then this can be a sign that there is mold growing in your home. The smell will likely be strongest near the area where the mold is. 

Peeling paint — If there is mold growing in the walls behind the paint, then you can see the paint bubbling. The paint may even bubble to the point it begins to peel. Common places to find bubbling paint from mold include in the bathroom, near the water heater, and under sinks. 

The exhaust fan in your bathroom isn't working properly — If there is mold growing in the exhaust fan and its housing, then this can cause the fan to not do its job properly. You will know when you are having problems with the fan because your bathroom will remain steamy for a longer period of time than it used to. 

Your floor has a squishing, sinking feeling — If you are walking on your floor and you feel what can be described as a "squishiness", then this could mean that you have mold underneath the flooring. 

Why you want to have mold professionally removed

If you find mold in your home, you want to leave it be, stay away from that part of the home, and have a professional service come out to remove the mold for you. Breathing in mold spores is dangerous to your health and the professionals will know how to get rid of the mold in a safe manner, so no one's health is put needlessly in jeopardy.

For more information, contact a mold removal service today.